Saturday, September 03, 2005

Ancient stick-juggling art

I'm known for having an interest in learning stuff that only a few number of people can do or even know of. One of them is juggling flowersticks. When I play in public, it's common that people come to me curiously and ask what is that kung-fu stuff you're doing. They have never seen something like that before.

I recommend flowersticks as a hobby to anyone. It's easy to learn, helps you concentrate and throw some incredible tricks. It's simply just cool.

Juggling sticks is an ancient performance art. According to some sources, it even dates back to the ancient Egypt and China. Two handsticks are used to manipulate a third stick that has been balanced with weights in the ends. The flowersticks name and the counterpart, devilsticks are names given by later marketers of this juggling art.

The hobby is quite hippy and geeky, so it suites me very well. I can carry them with me on the beach, park or any other place where I might have some free time to entertain myself. I also use my flowersticks when I'm working, mainly to have a break from the computer to think about some intriguing problems. Playing the sticks while I think helps me to concentrate. Some people smoke cigarettes, I play with my sticks.

In the past I've created my own flowersticks but now I finally ordered a quality one from the Lunastix company. My pefectly balanced Equinox Lunastix comes with an Easton Aluminium core and silicone coating. The endings have cups that improve playability and the shorter length results in faster professional play. The fiberglass handsticks are also covered with silicone and have rubber endings to protect it and give a more balanced feel. The product in quality package came to me here in Finland quickly from Salt Lake City, USA, where the company is located.

Quick testing reveals it's the best pair of sticks I've ever played with. I have tried commercially available sticks from local juggling stores, stuff sold on the streets and a number of my own experiments in crafting one myself. I've created about seven different sticks and this one clearly exceeds my favourite one in both playability and quality.

Here is a video of me having a test-run on my balcony in DivX format.

4 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger trish said...

Thts pretty freaking cool! where do you learn how to that!?

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Inf said...

Some good resources to learn this stuff are devilstick.org and devilstick.de. The first thing to lern is tick-tock, then helicopter and windmill. It takes a week or so to learn these tricks and a handful of others if you are persistent.

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Jono Lumb said...

The best site out there for learning some cool tricks is http://www.stixguru.com/
You can also check out my blog where I have written a review on the Equinox- the best flower stick ever!
http://www.sprayfly.com/blog/
Thanks
Jono

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger hjkl said...

You said you will love me wow gold the whole life, but you marry her. You said Cheap WoW Gold you will wow power leveling,come to marry me, but this will not be carried out forever.WoW Gold I am trying my best to forget you and do not love you anymore. wow leveling But I failed and I still love you. Maybe wow leveling she needs you more compared wow leveling with me. So I tell you that world of warcraft power leveling you should love world of warcraft power leveling her and take good world of warcraft leveling care of her. You said I was so kind.world of warcraft leveling Yes, because I love you,world of warcraft leveling I hope you will be power leveling happy forever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home